Sunday, March 4, 2012

My journey at ISU

As I continue working as a student affairs professional at the university level, my goal is to educate and influence students to pursue higher education. The College of Human Science and Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (ELPS) at Iowa State University (ISU) have helped me attain the necessary tools to navigate my role as a student affairs professional in the world of academics. During my experience in the master’s program for student affairs at ISU, I have been actively involved inside and outside the classroom by participating in meaningful and critical conversation with ELPS instructors, members of the 2011, 2012, and 2013 cohorts, colleagues from the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA), College of Design, and other professionals across the university. My experience both as a graduate assistant and student has helped me dig into the buffet of activities at the ISU. Not only will I be graduating with a master’s degree (M.Ed.) in student affairs, but I will also be graduating with a firm knowledge of what I love to do: helping students succeed in the college setting.

One needs to learn from the best to become the best, which I believe is found in an educational setting where theory is translated to practice. In the course of my academic work, graduate assistantship, practicum experiences, conference attendance, and presentations, I had the opportunity to apply and translate theory to practice. Through my journey at ISU, both inside and outside of the classroom, I have achieved my personal and professional goals, as well as the learner outcomes for the master’s degree in student affairs. Tomorrow, March 5, 2012, I will present my learning portfolio, I will share three learner outcomes that I believe best depict how I have become a better student affairs professional and have acquired the skills necessary to accomplish my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment