Monday, March 26, 2012

ACPA 2012

From March 22, 2012 through March 28, 2012 I am participating in the 2012 American College Personnel Association (ACPA) Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. This is my first time that I participate in ACPA and my first time visiting Louisville, previous years I have only participated in Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA). Both of the conferences and associations have been a positive experience for me.

In 2011 NASPA Region IV-E Conference I had the opportunity to compete in the case study, Allison Severson and I obtained first place in the competition. In 2012 ACPA, I am presenting two round-tables sessions.

The first session is Greek Advisor Survivor: Understanding the between Greek Life Councils’ Cultures, presenters Jessica Knerr, Lyston Skerritt, and I. his round table discussion will focus on the unique characteristics of four common undergraduate fraternity/sorority councils and strategies for student affairs professionals to advice and create policy more effectively. Attendees will acquire a better understanding of the cultural context that defines NPHC, IFC, Panhellenic and MGC operation through sharing ideas and strategies that have worked on different campuses. Presenters will evaluate the role of student affairs professionals in increasing collaboration between councils and dispelling prejudice and stereotypes.

The second sessions is called Reconceptualizing Leadership Development for Latino/a Graduate Students, presenter Dr. Nancy J. Evans, Dr. Mary Jo Gonzales, and I. Gabriel Barela and Amanda-Rae Barboza are joining me and Dr. Evans to present because Dr. Gonzales was not able to attend. In this session we will look at the Latina/o Leadership development. How do we empower Latina/o graduate students to aspire to higher education leadership? More importantly, how do we, as higher education professionals, encourage, support, and promote Latina/o graduate students to become our future leaders? There is a significant need to support Latina/o graduate students through culturally appropriate means to increase the number of Latina/o higher education leaders and enhance their potential leadership options. We will address this need through examination of relevant theory and literature and discussion of case studies.

Overall, I am enjoying the conference. I am growing as a young professional. The sessions, presentation and speakers are helping me to take new ideas and implement them at my current institution. The networking is AMAZING! I have had the opportunity to reconnect with old and new friends that are working at different institutions in the student affairs field.

No comments:

Post a Comment