Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sr. Student Teacher Interview.

What brought you here?
UNK offered me a variety of opportunities that I could have never imagined: scholarships, leadership positions, and a quality education. I knew UNK was going to help me not only reach my goals, but exceed them. My final decision was based on scholarship offers, the cost of living, safety on campus, and the attention that faculty, staff, and advisers would give me.


Why this field of study? Spanish Education & ESL major. I enjoy working with students and helping others. As an educator I can see the results of my works, I can make a difference in students' lives, and I am helping students to build a better understanding of the importance of education.


What steps did you take to get here? Discipline, responsibility and commitment. As a college students there are many challenges, obstacles and distractions... That didn't stop me from getting an education. I did my best at all time. Now I tell my students: Without Discipline there is no Education, and, Responsibility. You can't scape it.


Why student teach in Houston? I love big cities, because they are full of diversity. Houston is one of the largest city in our nation. As a teacher I know I have to work with a diverse group of students: social economic status, race, sexual orientation, religion, ideas, levels of learning, etc. I knew Houston was going more diversity than any other city near Nebraska. Plus, they pay to student teach in Houston.


Where will you go from here (UNK)? Currently I have been accepted to Iowa State University for the Education Leadership & Policy Studies Master's Program. Also, I have the opportunity to stay and teach in Houston, TX. One of the great benefits from attending UNK is that I am graduating and there are many options to choose from...


Have you considered grad school? Yes. I am debating in attending either Iowa State University or University of NE-Lincoln.


What were some challenges about getting into college? As a first generation college and as Latino student I had to explain my parents the process to apply for college and what all my activities and classes meant to me.


Do you think your sexual orientation will affect where you go from here? My sexual orientation will not affect in a negative way where I decide to go, it will affect in a positive way. Society sees homosexuality as a negative human behavior. My job is to educate those that do not understand nor respect homosexuals. My sexuality has never been an obstacle to accomplish my goals. Being Latino and homosexual in Nebraska is not easy. I have learned to act how society expects me to act, but at the same time I have learn how to be myself. As a teachers we have to remind ourselves that we all are different, and in the classrooms we will have students from a diverse background... As we want to be respected, we should respect others.


What are you involved with on campus?
I have been involved in extracurricular activities, such as: Student Coordinator for the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Director of Student Organizations for Student Government, Vice-President for the Hispanic Student Association, Academic Mentor for Student Support Services, Recruitment and Public Relations for Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc., a Chancellor’s Ambassador, Student Leaders for Summer Advising and Enrollment, Chair for the Nebraska Cultural Unity Conference, among other student organizations.


Who has helped guide you through college?\
My professor, my advisers, family, and friends.




What have been some of your favorite classes?
My Spanish Literature - the study of Spanish Literature and films, and all my Dance Classes.


What did you do outside of school to prepare you for your professional career? Outside of school I did a lot of community service, because of my passion for dance and dedication to students, I have developed my dance technique in the classroom. Specifically, I have had the privilege to teach dance to students with documented developmental disabilities. While I have passed my passion and love for dance on to them, they have taught me a key meaning of life: to do my best at all times. Also, I applied for an internship in Washington, DC., and worked in the US Senate for Senator Michael Bennet from CO and the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute.


Did you join any organizations specifically for your career path? No, but I can relate all my experience to my career. For example: my four years of undergraduate college I was part of the planning community for the Nebraska Cultural Unity Conference, two of those four years I was Chair. The conference main idea is to motivate high school students to get a higher education after high school graduation. As a teacher one has to inspire his/her students to be successful inside and outside the classroom.


How have you paid for college? I was awarded as a Peter Kiewit and Dream Scholar.


Where do you see yourself in five years? My dream is to work as a professional at the university level, to educate and influence students to pursue a higher education. I see myself working on my PhD in Spanish Literature. One day I will be a professor at a university.

No comments:

Post a Comment