Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I am not monetarily rich, but I am educated

I am finally student teaching in Houston, Texas, Alief School District. My first two months I am placed at Elsik High School. Yesterday Monday, January 4, 2010, was my first day at the high school. I arrived at 8:45 a.m., went directly to the principals office to get directions to get to my designed cooperative teacher and classroom. My cooperative teacher is definitely one of the most brilliant, intellectual, powerful, inspirational, outgoing, fun women that I have ever met. She does care about the students. I know I will learn a lot from Mrs. Miller. She is currently working on her Ph.D. I am lucky to have her as a mentor and she is a good role model to look up to.

Today, Tuesday, January 5, 2010, I had to opportunity to meet the students that I will be working with for the next two months. They are a diverse group of students. Today was introductions day. I met approximately over 150 students during six periods, Spanish II & III; I will not be able to remember everyone’s names. I will try to do my best. During introductions today a student asked me, “Mr. Salinas, are you rich.” I responded, “I am not monetarily rich, but I am educated.” Today I realized that my students’ need the fundamental idea of why is important to learn, also, they need the moral and motivational support to continue with their education. I am so glad I am at Elsik High School. It is a very diverse school; it has students from 30 different countries. I know student teaching at Elsik High School is going to be a challenge, a good challenge that will help me learn more about myself and about the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment